We came across an article about a woman who had contracted a parasite in her eye while wearing her contacts in a swimming pool and it caused blindness in that eye.
Acanthamoeba keratitis is what caused her blindness and though, as the article says, she was careful to care for her contact lenses and her eyes one miss-step can be devastating.
Here are a few good tips for those who wear contact lenses
- Don’t wash your contact lenses with tap water.
- Don’t wear your contact lenses while showering.
- Wash your hands carefully and dry them with a clean towel before handling your contact lenses.
- Change your lenses as instructed by your eye care professional.
- Purchase contact lenses from an eye care professional and be wary of cheap lenses you can purchase online.
- Clean your contact lens case regularly.
- Consider orthokeratology if you are a frequent swimmer or enjoy water sports.
Click to read the full article: I swam with my contact lenses in – now I’m blind in one eye